Saturday, April 23, 2016

Of course, it was one heck of a week, u see ...

There are some weeks of your life that are likely never to be forgotten. Although I cannot see into the future, I have a decent idea that this past week will be one of them. It was mostly a somber week, with one huge exception.

On Monday, a thirty year battle ended as a former student of the first school at which I worked passed away. John H was just a regular guy as best I can remember. Unfortunately, at the tender age of 20, he suffered a stroke. Who gets a stroke when they are 20 years old?

I remember seeing John in the hospital. It was a pitiful sight to see a young guy look so terrible. He was disabled for the rest of his life. I had pretty much forgotten about him, but actually remembered him a few weeks ago and wondered whatever happened to him. What a terrible lot in life he was given.

On Wednesday, I was saddened to learn of the death of my all-time favorite college basketball player, Dwayne "Pearl" Washington. Pearl was a flashy guard for Syracuse University at a time when Big East basketball was the most entertaining in the country. Pearl was unique looking -- dark, black skin, an olive-shaped head, and, frankly, had kind of a big butt for a primo college basketball guard. I was such a fan that I -- a guy who boasts of being frugal -- PAID an art student at the school I worked to paint the word "Pearl" and a picture of a pearl on my basketball shoes. Dick Vitale once proclaimed that Pearl was the second best point guard in all of basketball behind Magic Johnson. Heady praise indeed. I even went to Pearl's first NBA game in Chicago.
Rest in Peace, Pearl
 
However, Wednesday was also an important day for my family as we remembered that exactly six years ago, my son Rick was operated on due to a rare form of cancer. I can't possibly describe what a horrible day that was. I posted several times that week and received great support from my blogger friends. For that I will always be grateful.
 
Imagine, if you can seeing your child looking like this:
And this is the good picture. I will spare you the fun or seeing the gory picture with the huge scar.

However we are celebrating six years of Rick being cancer free! I guess things are all a matter of perspective. Rick had a cancer that only 3 out of 100,000 people get, which he certainly thinks is unfortunate. However, he was able to avoid radiation therapy and chemotherapy and has had an almost 100% recovery. He was extremely lucky in that sense. Today, he is just a regular guy trying to finish his college degree. We are very thankful.
My hipster son
 
And finally, the news of the week closed on a bad note as musical legend Prince passed away. I was actually surprised to see the outpouring of love after the news broke. I, like many, loved his music, especially when he was on top of the world with Purple Rain. I didn't expect to see that so many people has been affected by his music. He was a talented soul, indeed.
 
I, for one, would be more than happy to see next week be just a boring, uneventful week.

4 Comments:

Blogger angerisagift said...

now i am Depressed AF .need weed meow

7:07 PM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

Ummm ... I thought you needed weed ALL the time?

8:10 PM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

Who gets a stroke when they are 20 years old?

My step-son had a stroke when he was 6 years old. Fortunately, he (mostly) recovered. He did have to learn to write left-handed, however.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Mr Subliminal said...

Here's to more boring, uneventful weeks.

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home