Thursday, January 22, 2015

A Night of Professional Wrestling: The Thursday Night Throwdown

Professional wrestling had, at more than one time in my life, been an area of interest. Growing up in suburban Chicago in the 1960's and 70's, I watched the old Bob Luce Wrestling show that featured such greats at Dick the Bruiser and The Crusher, Yukon Moose Cholak, Baron Von Raschke, Wilbur Snyder, Billy Red Cloud, The Blackjacks, Bobby Heenan ... Yes, those were some great times.

I also watched wrestling during the 1980's when Hulk Hogan, the Iron Sheik, Andre the Giant, Macho Man Randy Savage (who grew up in the town next to the town where I grew up) and many other greats were popular. However, I faded away from watching pro wrestling many years ago.

I knew that one of my former advisees was involved in the lowest of rungs of professional wrestling, so when I saw that he was going to be in a match tonight, I decided to go. When I say the lowest of rungs, I mean that. The matches were held in what is basically a huge garage type building.

The crowd was tremendous.
Action took place both inside and outside the ring.
 
It was actually quite a bit of fun, and certainly over the 90 minutes of action I got my $5 worth.
 
Years ago, I had a hidden desire to become a professional wrestling manager. I mean, in what other profession (aside from politics) could you clearly have good vs. evil, spout off a bunch of bullshit in a microphone and get paid for it? Oh, what could have been ...



5 Comments:

Blogger thundering36 said...

Hmmm... I remember you wanting to be like Superman when you were little with that diaper as a cape and that you wanted to swing on a vine like Zim Bomba. I guess you had higher goals when you were a child. :-)

11:59 PM  
Blogger The Poker Meister said...

You know it's fake, don't you! Santa isn't real either!

7:34 AM  
Blogger Pete P. Peters said...

Why does the guy in the wheelchair have dolla bills in his hand? Was he going to stuff them down one of the performers' pants? Are you sure this was wrestling you were watching?

10:05 AM  
Blogger Onechiquita100 said...

Good grief, I was mislead by the title of your post! I thought YOU were moonlighting as a wrestler. Profoundly disappointed, sir.

2:10 PM  
Blogger ManInBlack said...

if you still want to be a manager I say we talk TBC into being the "Tilted Poker Player". Think about him getting into the ring...lol

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home