Monday, July 07, 2014

Guest Post: Anime Midwest 2014



Hello readers! Today’s update isn’t from lightning36 - oh, no. This post is written by none other than his fantastic youngest daughter. I’ve been pestering him to let me write this one for about a month.
From July 4 to 6, my father and I went to what was surely the highlight of his year so far. We stayed at the Hilton Rosemont / Chicago O'Hare Hotel


(lovely place, by the way) for two nights, though that’s not what I’m here to talk about. Most of our time (or mine, at least) was spent at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center, enjoying the panels, shopping, and having a fantastic time in general at Anime Midwest 2014.
Father's note: From the organization's website:
What is Anime Midwest? Our midwest anime convention is a three-day convention celebrating Japanese animation, video games, music, and more for fans in Chicago. Almost 10,000 anime fans will come to the Hyatt Regency O'Hare from July 4-6, 2014 to take part in cosplay, concerts, gaming tournaments, formal dances, and more. You can make new friends, meet voice actors, and have a lot of fun - while we support you with a ConSweet full of free soda and ramen.

This year’s experience was nothing short of mind-blowing. There was free food, plenty of friends (some old, some new,) and, of course, dozens upon dozens of pictures.

Me being lifted by a good friend


One of the many pictures taken at a Homestuck photoshoot

(Homestuck is the webcomic my daughter adores)

Unfortunately, one of the most important parts of the convention has not yet had pictures or videos posted online: a conga line of Homestuck fans that wrapped around the building (and I was near the front, too!)

Overall, I would definitely say this was a great experience, and I hope that I have many more convention experiences to come as well.

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot. If you could write something in the comment section along the lines of “lightning36 should let his daughter go to Kollision Con in January,”that would be great! ;)






 

16 Comments:

Blogger ~Coach said...

Before I even got to the end, your father already knew that I was going to say something along the lines of, "Wow, this blog is so much more interesting when your fantastic youngest daughter writes it..." And where is Kollison Con going to be held (before I campaign for you)? Also Mr. Lightning, for someone who was accusing me (accurately) of ripping off people's lives, and on the VERY SAME DAY, you have someone else step in and write practically your whole entry (much better than you, but still)... ;) Nice post fantastic youngest daughter - looks like you had a lot of fun. And is it even possible to beat free soda and ramen??? :D

9:49 PM  
Blogger Mr Subliminal said...

Fret not, Kollision Con in January is a foregone conclusion.

11:52 PM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

lightning36 should let his daughter go to Kollision Con in January, but he should go with her to keep her out of trouble -- just sayin'.

12:57 AM  
Blogger angerisagift said...

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. y isnt there any star wars characters like hans solo and such. was there any mountian dew???

3:17 AM  
Blogger Pete P. Peters said...

But seriously, what's the point of going to Anime Midwest if you are not going to go to Kollision Con in January?

5:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I highly recommend Con Alt Delete instead of Kollision Kon. Con Alt Delete is run by the same people as Midwest.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Josie said...

Younger Daughter! What a great, well written and interesting (for a change) post. I do feel bad that you had to cart your grumpy, old and cheap father around with you, but at least you got to go!

I totally think you should go in January and your father cherishes my opinion, so I'm sure he'll agree with me.

In fact, I think your old man should put up a donation button in this blog just for your trip. Lord knows his poker winnings ain't gonna cover it. I would totally through you a few bucks.

BTW I LOVE your outfit, especially your hair. Please post again.

1:43 PM  
Blogger angerisagift said...

CHEAP?????????????? she stayed at the Hilton. how much was that a night???????

3:05 AM  
Blogger Josie said...

Anger, apparently you haven't met him.

I'd bet $100 he did not pay for that room.

2:24 PM  
Blogger Josie said...

Trust me, he doesn't pay retail, ESPECIALLY for hotel rooms.

Yes, regarding Tony he's generous with his time...on vacay in Vegas no less. That is very generous indeed.

The thing is, once one (especially Lightbulb) gets rooms comped, it's difficult/impossible to waste money on full price rooms.

9:57 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

So is there a bet or is this just posturing on both sides?

11:58 AM  
Blogger Josie said...

No Bet. That wouldn't be fair to poor, misguided Anger. I KNOW you didn't pay full price for the room.

1:43 PM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

As expected, ...

6:58 PM  
Blogger angerisagift said...

LOL. does it matter if he( lightning) got a deal?????????? who was posturing,sir????????LMAO. i got yr back,professor. also, if any1 talks/text/twitters carmen tell her to tell NINA. hi!!!!!!!! LOL. I am having NINA pic withdrawal. LOL. but i have MARY JANE. she is so good to me. HAPPY FRIDAY BIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCHES

3:16 AM  
Blogger angerisagift said...

u can take advantage of me, josie.LOL. new england cougars r HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3:41 AM  
Blogger angerisagift said...

metallica will b at comic con in san diego. just saying. in other news, pamela anderson got divorced

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home