Saturday, October 05, 2013

The Year That Friggin' Was

I have been busy at work, which is not always a bad thing. Sometimes being busy serves as a good reason -- or excuse -- to avoid some of life's unpleasantries. Sometimes being busy just helps period.

The year that began at the end of September 2012 and just ended was one of the most challenging of my life. In fact, it likely made the top five list of Worst Years of My Life.

The year began with a totally shocking event: the suicide of a close family friend. Cindy had been a member of an Italian dinner club that my wife and I joined. I had assisted her husband, Keith, when he returned to college. I advised her daughter, Jamie. My wife was one of Cindy's close friends and had already been out to visit her once after Cindy and Keith moved to North Carolina. Cindy was the type of person who was there for her friends, but sadly, would not allow her friends to help her when she needed help most.

In the next few days after Cindy's death, I found that poker blogger Gary (The Crafty Southpaw) had a stroke and the wife of poker blogger Tim (OhCaptain) was seriously injured when she and her daughter were involved in an an accident. That was one heck of a week.

Things muddled along the rest of fall, but after the first of the year, I just wasn't feeling right. Stupid me thought I was having an issue with my lungs. I should have gotten my butt in to see a doctor, but some serious family issues which I have chosen to keep private kept my focus elsewhere. I didn't realize that I had a serious health issue until I was forced to take some time to get medical attention. I found out that the problems I thought were associated with my lungs were, unfortunately, related to my previous heart issues. An artery that had been partially blocked became bad enough that another heart procedure was necessary in March. It was a very scary time indeed.

I barely had time to recover from my heart procedure when I was shocked to hear that Ron, a regular member of my international home poker game, passed away. Having just had a serious medical procedure, this really hit home.

Throw in multiple strokes by poker blogger buddy Wolfshead, and the crappy year continued. In a sense I guess it was fitting that the year ended with the passing of my former co-worker Jen Smith, who finally lost her struggle against breast cancer.

So a new year has begun. It almost certainly will be better than the last.


Cindy


Ron

Jen
 
 
Let us learn to show friendship for a man when he is alive and not after he is dead.
 
F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Great Gatsby


2 Comments:

Blogger ~Coach said...

Amen - I hope that this year is a much better year also... I'm going to share that quote too - thank you...

10:23 PM  
Blogger ManInBlack said...

2014 will be a better year for you my friend. You are a great person and things will get better.

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home