Wednesday, June 12, 2013

A Day in the Life of a Supervisor


Some readers might recall that I had to make a big decision about 15 months ago: whether or not to fill in a leadership gap in my department and become da boss. I took the job, and have actually had a pretty decent time. Yesterday looked to be a fairly easy day with the only scheduled event being a day-long retreat with my fellow directors at a nice hotel and conference center. However, as we all know, looks can sometimes be deceiving.

My day:

1) Found out that a client who wishes to complain about one of my staff scheduled a meeting with me for today ... at 8:00 a.m. I guess she doesn't know that catching lightning36 before he has a cup of coffee can be an interesting experience. But really ... was an 8:00 a.m. appointment to complain necessary?

2) Notified that one of my staff canceled her vacation to help search for her brother, who is missing. Based on the circumstances surrounding his disappearance, it is likely that he took his own life. My staff member is devastated.

3) Received notice from another member of my staff that her fears had been realized. Test results came back indicating that she has skin cancer. She is devastated.

The retreat was supposed to be a relaxing and fun day.

I trust that I will earn my pay this week.

11 Comments:

Blogger Tony Bigcharles said...

dont forget the 2nd half of the trip report

12:59 AM  
Blogger Cranky said...

Yowza! Let's hope neither you nor your 2 devastated colleagues ever have a day like this again.

6:18 AM  
Anonymous KenP said...

I trust that I will earn my pay this week.

Madigan and Quinn will be dancing in the streets with the Cheshire Cat looking on.

I think you saved them from another bond downgrade.

:P

7:35 AM  
Blogger Pete P. Peters said...

Yes, Lightning, priorities fine sir.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Lucki Duck said...

Geez.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Stuff a sock in it, Tony.

s.i.

1:36 PM  
Blogger The Poker Meister said...

Supervisor = psychologist, problem solver, listener

Best wishes / hopes to the person with the lost brother. Skin cancer, depending on what type, is not the end of the world. I had to get a cancerous area removed surgically a few years ago - it wasn't "that" bad...

8:31 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

@ The Poker Meister -- No word on the brother situation. The complication with the skin cancer issue is a family history with some scary results. She is hanging in there, though.

11:20 AM  
Blogger The Poker Meister said...

Yes - of course, cancer is cancer. There is no "good" kind of cancer...

1:27 PM  
Blogger Spot said...

You'll need a vacation after this. heck, when can you have another sabbatical?

2:08 AM  
Blogger thundering36 said...

"dont forget the 2nd half of the trip report"

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home