Sunday, December 23, 2012

lightning 36's List of All Time Favorite Songs: #4

Everyone seems to like lists -- best this, most popular that. I decided to post a very short list -- my top four all time favorite songs. It will become pretty clear where I look for my music as you see my selections. Maybe it will even get you to start thinking what your favorites are. For those of us who have lived through many different eras and movements, selecting your all time favorite can be a difficult, but ultimately fun experience. Today's post starts with #4.

People familiar with 1960's and 1970's popular music should know the band Badfinger. Badfinger was signed to Apple Records and had a string of hits in the early 1970's. They were poised to become perhaps one of the monster bands of that era. However, in an all too familiar story, this group of musicians knew very little about management and the music industry and was robbed and thrown into legal hell by their manager. Sadly, the creative genius of the band, Pete Ham, could take no more and hanged himself. Eight years later, bass player and singer Tom Evans also hanged himself. A group with so much talent and so much hope was ruined by greed and mismanagement. The sad legacy of Badfinger shows a band that suffered a fate it certainly did not deserve.

The first time I remember hearing this song was when I got together with two friends while in eighth grade to have a record trade -- an attempt to swap some of our 45's (do my younger readers know what a 45 is?). I immediately fell in love with the main guitar riff. Now, 40 years later, it is still one of my favorites.

Favorite song #4: Baby Blue


Guess I got what I deserve
Kept you waiting there, too long my love
All that time, without a word
Didn't know you'd think, that I'd forget, or I'd regret
The special love I have for you
My baby blue

All the days became so long
Did you really think I'd do you wrong
Dixie, when I let you go
Thought you'd realize, I would know, I would show
The special love I have for you
My baby blue

What can I do, what can I say?
Except that I want you by my side
How can I show you? Show me a way
Don't you know, the times I tried

Guess that's all I have to say
Except the feeling just gets stronger everyday
Just one thing, before I go
Take good care, baby let me know, let it show
The special love you have for me
My Dixie dear

2 Comments:

Blogger sevencard2003 said...

about time u updated ur blog, hope u found ur xmas card and it didnt enter ur bulk mail as i found out from others

8:43 PM  
Blogger Mr Subliminal said...

Classic stuff, I remember this and other Badfinger numbers. Very sad what happened to them.

Interested to hear your #3, #2 and #1.

3:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home