Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Six Month Updates: Joining the Enemy & Good Numbers

Joining the Enemy
My world was a topsy turvy place six months ago. Veteran readers of this blog may remember that I had my latest run in with my homeowners association over my wife's straw bale garden. The association was not at the top of our Christmas card list as it was, due to the manner in which we felt we were contacted regarding our annual dues and some other concerns. I decided to take my attorney's advice and do what needed to be done. As of last night, I am now officially a homeowners association board member.


They jokingly said that they would be sending me out the next time they think someone needs to contact a resident regarding an issue. I would actually be fine with that because I can guarantee that my people skills are much better than one or more of the current and previous board members. One woman who I had never met immediately said "I vote no" when the issue of my candidacy was brought up. Hmmm ... a sense of humor among the heartless tyrants. I'll probably like her!

Good Numbers
I am closing in on the six month anniversary (I guess you'd call it that?) of my mild heart attack. Being no one's fool, I immediately got exercise and nutrition religion and am happy to list the following information:

Weight: Lost 30 pounds
Cholesterol:  Total: 154   LDL: 85   HDL: 47   Triglycerides: 112

However, my last blood test also showed that my A1C score continued to be in the "prediabetes" area, and I have adjusted my diet accordingly, cutting back on the bad carbs and balancing my carbs/diet accordingly.

So ... challenges still remain, but overall I feel like I am in a pretty good place right now. Things certainly look a lot less scary than they did six months ago.

Cheers!

5 Comments:

Blogger PokahDave said...

Watch out for your blood pressure now that you are one of the board members...

12:37 PM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

Those are great numbers - congrats on the life-style change.

12:54 PM  
Blogger grrouchie said...

Congrats on the weight loss - you are an inspiration to all of us who need to follow suit!

5:05 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Wow, impressive improvement, health wise, particularly the weight loss. Congrats and keep up the good work.

11:39 PM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

Bad carbs:

Sugars
“Added” sugars
Refined “white” grains

Basically all the carbs that do nothing else for you, as opposed to things like whole grain bread.

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home