Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Sometimes "One Time" Is Just Not Enough

This past weekend I wrote two posts about the family cat that had gotten lost and then miraculously returned. In the first post, I lamented "So Mother Nature, how about 'one time' for the family? We didn't even get to say goodbye." Not too long after I wrote the post, Ivy magically appeared on our front porch and I reported "Mrs. Lightning made a trip to the emergency vet (cha-ching), who said that Ivy is severely dehydrated and running a fever. She's getting an IV and staying overnight at the clinic (cha-ching), but should be okay."

Happily, Mother Nature did grant me my "one time." Sadly, it looks like Ivy is not going to make it. She did not respond to the hydration and anti-biotics given to her at the emergency clinic. After a screw up with our old, old vet (who we will probably not be using any longer), we took our cat to the new, ritzy vet office in town. My experience has been that these goomers never saw an expensive test they did not like. Mind you, I had already spent an good deal of money for the emergency care. The new vets wanted to run a bunch of tests on Ivy. Already having had experience with this place, I asked my wife to ask how much these tests would cost. I was not surprised to find that the answer was in four figures. Yeah -- no decimal point. They had also talked about the possibility of a feeding tube -- right. We decided it was time to take our baby home.

Unfortunately, the home environment did not seem to help. She is exhibiting classic signs of a cat that senses it is dying. It looks like we will have to carefully check on her, keep her comfortable, and barring any amazing recovery, may have to put her to sleep. It is one of those life lessons that my kids are learning the hard way.

A co-worker who grew up on a farm simply cannot understand. In her life, cats were farm animals who were always living on the brink of disaster in the rural environment and usually did not live long. To this guy who grew up in the suburbs, however, pets were things to be loved and cherished. My family has always had a good number of pets and my kids have certainly developed an affinity with God's furry creatures.

I am thankful, however, that Ivy did return and that we will all be able to say goodbye, painful as that is. At least that is multiple times better than not knowing what happened to her.

Update: My wife wants to consider trying feeding with a syringe or even a feeding tube. Should I grab my ankles?

5 Comments:

Blogger PokahDave said...

Cat's are so weird. My cat 'Bruin'(I named him that back in 2000 so I didn't just rename him this year) disappeared in the past a couple of times...always during the coldest time of year. The last time it was for 2 weeks and we thought he was done. He came back emaciated and dehydrated but bounced back pretty well..we haven't let him out since..that was two years ago.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Josie said...

I've been there and it's not fun, but the sadness at the end is a small price to pay for all the love Ivy's given you and your family.

As far as the feedings go - Wifey feeding the kitty with a syringe wouldn't cost an arm and a leg, but by all means, grab those ankles. lol

12:39 PM  
Anonymous KenP said...

Haven't posted because whatever said isn't adequate. Pets are people too. And, generally far nicer than the run of the mill lot.

Not sure where my soul will end up. And experts say animals don't have them. But, mine sure seemed to have them and I'm sure your family shares my feeling.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Mr Subliminal said...

Though things look grim, I still wouldn't rule out a miraculous recovery.

Any extra time with your pet is worth it.

7:09 PM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

I've got my fingers crossed.

1:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home