Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A Long Day

You might have heard how the midwest had high winds today and how power was out in many places. Yes, it was a fun day indeed.

I was up at 6:45 this morning trying to get a jump on the day. As I was getting ready to shave ... flicker flicker, and out went the lights. The nasty part about losing power was that it was so rainy and dark outside that the whole house was really dark.

After getting myself ready, I checked on the sump pump. Hmmm ... does that back-up system really work? Thank goodness the rain stopped and I didn't have to worry about my basement flooding.

On the way to drop off my daughter at school, we heard on the radio that power lines were down near my workplace. A free day, perhaps? Not a chance! It did, however, look like a tornado briefly touched down as some fences were knocked down.

As soon as I got to work, my son called. "The key won't turn in the ignition." I tried to get him to work it a little bit, but he was already out of sorts due to the power outage and change of routine for the day. Of course, when I checked the problem on my lunch hour, it took a whole three seconds to start the car. At least the power was back on and food in the fridge and freezer was okay.

The afternoon dragged on near the end with a 2 1/2 hour Curriculum Committee meeting. Sounds exciting right? I got home, ate, then went to the annual Homeowners Association meeting. Another 1 1/2 hours of pure delight.

After watching the last hour of the latest WSOP Main Event episode on ESPN, I did a little catching up on internet reading. It looks like the Tuesday Spewsday was da bomb -- not. Congrats to Wolfshead, though, for second place in the super turbo.

Oh yeah -- it is now late Tuesday night and tomorrow is garbage day. Time to make the rounds. FML -- I am one damn exciting dude!

6 Comments:

Blogger bastinptc said...

I only think I miss a good ol' fashion Illinois storm.

"Hmmm ... does that back-up system really work?"

That is a question I have been asking myself since the last time ours was required...the time it didn't.

Jiggle the steering wheel?

1:01 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

He was too upset to do anything. The protocol, I believe is 1) Jiggle the steering wheel; 2) Jiggle the shifter to make sure the car is in Park properly; and 3) Apply a little more pressure to turning the key.

The solution was #3. It was easier for him to just take his sister's car. however.

7:41 AM  
Blogger BamBam said...

Also items we seem to have in common;

The "backup" system for the sump.
Endless days that start out letting you know they're coming, right off the top.

&

The endless stream of meeting after meeting, all to dedicate ourselves to a better tomorrow. Where of course, more meeting will have to be scheduled.

Smile though Light! The alternative to the issues on this side of the grass/snow, totally suck by comparison.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

Seems like bad things come in bunches. Glad to hear all is ok now.

9:05 PM  
Blogger OhCaptain said...

Sounds like we are almost sharing the same life. Only my kids don't drive yet, my sump pump died (thankfully, I never go more then a couple of hours without a spare), we've had little rain, but I do keep wondering if the house will stay attached to the foundation. The winds are slowing down here. Finally. Maybe tonight we'll sleep.

Life ain't that bad. We married up after all :)

11:00 PM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

Wind = Overtime! It was fairly windy most of the day here. Around 2:30 the storm came through with around 70mph gusts. We had several tornados in central ohio but not alot of damage near me.

11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home