Thursday, July 01, 2010

Quickie Chicago Sports Update
Bulls
I do not believe that LeBron will be wearing a Bulls uniform next season. I have no confidence in Bulls management's abilty to do much of anything. I, of course, hope LeBron comes to Chicago, but I've already heard the old "we've cleared salary cap space and free agents will flock here" routine ever since Jordan retired for the second time. If the Bulls don't get LeBron, I hope that LeBron stays in Cleveland. The sports fans in that city deserve a championsip.

Cubs
Stick a fork in them -- they have been done for some time. Time for the Ricketts family to clean house -- Hendry, Piniella, Zambrano for a start -- and do things right. Trade D Lee to a contending team to reward him for his years of service. They had their chance and they blew it.

Bears
After spending an unbelievable amount of money on some free agents, the Bears management has fans thinking success. I have my doubts. Get rid of Jerry Angelo and Lovie Smith for a start. Tell Brian Urlacher that talk is cheap. I think he is done. I hope Jay Cutler has a much better year. I would like the Bears to prove me wrong, but I don't see this team scaring other teams. I see a .500 season give or take a game and no playoffs.

White Sox
The White Sox's recent winning streak saved the baseball season. They are now right in it with Minnesota and Detroit, two very good teams. It would be great to see a good pennant fight between all three teams.

Blackhawks
The disassembling of the champion Blackhawks due to salary cap issues has come quickly. Gone are Dustin Byfuglien, Brent Sopel, Ben Eager, Kris Versteeg, Colin Fraser, Adam Burish, and Andrew Ladd. Likely a few other changes will be made.

What to think? Well the Hawks knew they would need to clear space to keep their top stars. The bottom line is that they won their first championship in almost fifty years. That was worth everything. Hawks management put the team together (well ... thank Dale Tallon for most of that) and can do it again. Their best strategy would be to simply do whatever Scotty Bowman says! I have faith that this organization knows what it is doing, but at this point it is hard to see a repeat -- at least for next season.

1 Comments:

Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

I like the Cubbies, but you're right -- they need to blow up the team and start over.

11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home