Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A Serious Request for Prayers, Good Karma, Whatever ...
Have you ever been sailing along smoothly in a poker tournament -- catching cards, hitting your draws, winning with your bluffs -- and then suddenly things change: no more good cards, you get rivered, your opponent hits a two-outer? That is how I feel right now.

Life suddenly became more challenging for my family at the end of last week when we found out that my 15 year old son was diagnosed with what appears to be an extremely rare form of cancer. There is a slight possibility that it could not be cancer, but we will probably not find that out until after the mass has been removed.

The good news (good is a relative term of course) is that this type of cancer tends to not be as aggressive as other forms. If treated promptly and properly, the prognosis should be very good. We are taking my son to be treated by an expert in this type of cancer at the Mayo Clinic.

We are thankful that my son came to us about his bump and that we immediately sought medical help. He had a biopsy at the local clinic, and then a second one was requested. Slides of both tissue samples were sent to Mayo. I started to have a bad feeling about this, so at least the surprise was lessoned. Still, this has been quite a shock to the family. The initial shock has been wearing off, so at least we're beginning to work through this.

If all goes well, the mass will be totally removed, we will find out that the cancer has not spread, and there will not be any damage to a surrounding nerve. That is a likely scenario , but as we all know, nothing in life is guaranteed. We are hopeful that this will just be a small setback in what we hope will be a long, healthy life for my son.

So, as the title of this post suggests, we are asking for your prayers, good karma, healing vibes ... whatever seems to work for you -- we'll take it! We're shooting every angle we can on this orbit.

36 Comments:

Blogger KenP said...

The prayers are on the wing.

It is a horrid reality how blessings are tested.

It all sounds like the young man has great 'pot odds' based on the prompt reaction to what many would tend to ignore. There is the luck and the basis for optimism.

6:04 PM  
Blogger BWoP said...

I am terribly sorry to hear about this. I am keeping you and your family in my thoughts.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Josie said...

He'll be in my thoughts and prayers and so will you. A parent's worst nightmare, although it sounds very treatable.

Take care.

6:25 PM  
Blogger BamBam said...

He's got all that we've got.

You and the Mrs. can have the rest.
Can't even begin to imagine what you two are going through.

Keep the half full glass because if you let it get half empty, you've already lost half the glass.

Thoughts and prayers are headed your way.

9:01 PM  
Blogger Shrike said...

My heart sunk when I read this post. I hope for a report of a complete victory soon!

-PL

10:04 PM  
Blogger gadzooks64 said...

I'll be thinking of you guys! Hope all turns out well.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Mondogarage said...

I am very sad for you and your family right now...no one ever deserves to have to go through this. But stay positive and focused, your family is in good hands with Mayo, and the positive vibes will be flowing your way from all directions. Be strong.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Memphis MOJO said...

That's awful. I'm hoping it all works out. Catching it early sounds like a very positive thing.

10:57 PM  
Blogger Crash said...

Good luck. I have a feeling it will be OK.

11:08 PM  
Blogger dbcooper said...

My thoughts are with you man. Having kids myself I don't know what I would if one of mine got sick.

11:11 PM  
Blogger crafty said...

Sending good thoughts and positivity from New England for you and yours. Looking forward to positive progress reports!

1:36 AM  
Blogger crafty said...

Sending good thoughts and positivity from New England for you and yours. Looking forward to positive progress reports!

1:36 AM  
Blogger jjok said...

prayers my friend......many many prayers.

3:00 AM  
Blogger TanOrpheus said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Best wishes

3:12 AM  
Blogger Riggstad said...

Thinking of you and your family Light... Many prayers coming your way.

6:58 AM  
Blogger BadBlood said...

Hope everything turns out OK. As a father of two, I can sympathize.

7:34 AM  
Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

Hope it all works out Lightning. Nothing worse than worrying about your kids health.

8:30 AM  
Blogger BLAARGH! said...

Good luck lightning... really sorry to hear about your son, I hope everything works out for him.

9:03 AM  
Blogger 23skidoo said...

Wow...I really hope this turns out OK for your family. Just imagining one of my kids in that place sends chills... peace be with you.

9:52 AM  
Blogger BigPirate said...

Prayers and thoughts to your Son and the rest of you.

10:43 AM  
Blogger The Poker Meister said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your son. As a parent of 3, I can't imagine what you're going through. You will, no doubt, as a family, pull through this.

11:06 AM  
Blogger VinNay said...

Thoughts and good vibes coming your way.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Katitude said...

sending huge virtual hugs your way. Keep positive - I know it's hard, I've been there, but modern medicine wins more than we know.

Thinking of you...

11:12 AM  
Blogger Wolfshead said...

Damn man, it's bad enough when something hits you but no parent should have to see things like this happen to their children. I'm not a praying man but your family and your son have all the good wishes I can send their way and moreso. Just hope it's not as serious as suspected and/or that the treatment is totally effective. All the best to you and yours.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Astin said...

I don't get the poker metaphor, because all I ever get is aces that hold up.

I'll do what I can to send that luck your way. Good vibes.

12:30 PM  
Blogger John G. Hartness said...

Jeez, man. All my mojo headed your way.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My families prayers are on the way to you sir.

He's a strong man and has a great father looking out for him.

Let us know whenever you get further news.

3:19 PM  
Blogger TripJax said...

Beat to you and yours. Indeed my family will pray for yours.

5:37 PM  
Blogger TripJax said...

BEST to you and yours...

5:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Prayers coming from within the state of the Mayo.

12:25 AM  
Blogger OhCaptain said...

As you know, what ever you need, let me know.

12:40 AM  
Blogger PokahDave said...

Good mojo coming to you and yours.......

1:59 PM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

My thoughts are with you and your family. I hope all turns out well.

12:25 AM  
Blogger Fred aka TwoBlackAces said...

Although we only know each other on the virtual felt, I sincerely feel your pain. I wish the very best outcome for you and your child. Sending many well wishes and prayers. Take care.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Sending many, many positive thoughts your way. Sounds like early detection might be the key to defeating this nasty cancer. Can't imagine how tough this must be for everyone involved, but you're in my thoughts.

10:42 PM  
Blogger genomeboy said...

Good luck, and let me know if you need any interpretation.

Jason

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home