Friday, October 20, 2006

Putting things in perspective ...

I had NOT been looking forward to October 19 for some time. Granted -- it is my mom's birthday and certainly reason to celebrate and thank the Lord, but it also carried with it an unusually harsh penalty.

Have you ever been really (I mean really) screwed by your supervisor? I was 13 years and one job ago, and today I had to see the mofo and make nice since we were in a professional meeting. Unfortunately, this buttwipe sees me and immediately starts chatting me up. He then catches me at the end of the meeting, and again I have to spend time talking with him. Just what I needed - a reminder of how this guy made my life total crap and led me to be one of the initial users of Prilosec.

After the meeting, I was talking with one of my co-workers, Angela, and whining about how my life sucked way back when because of this guy. My life sucked? She then proceeded to tell me how her sister was murdered. Angela was in high school at the time, and her older sister had a stalker. Despite attempts to handle the guy through the police, her sister was vunerable and was hunted down and shot in the head.

I have actually been a pretty lucky guy most of my life -- no major traumas, good health, never lost a close friend or nuclear family member until my dad passed away two years ago -- and can in no way relate to something as horrible as a sibling being murdered.

It's always good to remember that poker is just a game and relatively insignificant over the course of our lives. A bad beat is simply a bad beat -- not the end of the world. And no matter how bad we think we have it and how much we whine about injustices in our lives, it doesn't take much searching to find someone who makes our difficulties seem like merely a bad beat in the poker game called life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home